Cross-References Between The Bible And The Urantia Book
The Book Of Amos
Note: There are no cross-references between the book of Amos and The Urantia Book.
- The words of Amos, who was among the herdmen of Tekoa, which he saw concerning
Israel in the days of Uzziah king of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam the
son of Joash king of Israel, two years before the earthquake.
- And he said, The LORD will roar from Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem;
and the habitations of the shepherds shall mourn, and the top of Carmel shall
- Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four,
I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have threshed Gilead
with threshing instruments of iron:
- But I will send a fire into the house of Hazael, which shall devour the
palaces of Benhadad.
- I will break also the bar of Damascus, and cut off the inhabitant from
the plain of Aven, and him that holdeth the sceptre from the house of Eden:
and the people of Syria shall go into captivity unto Kir, saith the LORD.
- Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Gaza, and for four, I
will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they carried away captive
the whole captivity, to deliver them up to Edom:
- But I will send a fire on the wall of Gaza, which shall devour the palaces
- And I will cut off the inhabitant from Ashdod, and him that holdeth the
sceptre from Ashkelon, and I will turn mine hand against Ekron: and the remnant
of the Philistines shall perish, saith the Lord GOD.
- Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Tyrus, and for four, I
will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they delivered up the whole
captivity to Edom, and remembered not the brotherly covenant:
- But I will send a fire on the wall of Tyrus, which shall devour the palaces
- Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Edom, and for four, I
will not turn away the punishment thereof; because he did pursue his brother
with the sword, and did cast off all pity, and his anger did tear perpetually,
and he kept his wrath for ever:
- But I will send a fire upon Teman, which shall devour the palaces of Bozrah.
- Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of the children of Ammon,
and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have
ripped up the women with child of Gilead, that they might enlarge their border:
- But I will kindle a fire in the wall of Rabbah, and it shall devour the
palaces thereof, with shouting in the day of battle, with a tempest in the
day of the whirlwind:
- And their king shall go into captivity, he and his princes together, saith
- Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Moab, and for four, I
will not turn away the punishment thereof; because he burned the bones of
the king of Edom into lime:
- But I will send a fire upon Moab, and it shall devour the palaces of Kirioth:
and Moab shall die with tumult, with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet:
- And I will cut off the judge from the midst thereof, and will slay all
the princes thereof with him, saith the LORD.
- Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Judah, and for four, I
will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have despised the
law of the LORD, and have not kept his commandments, and their lies caused
them to err, after the which their fathers have walked:
- But I will send a fire upon Judah, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem.
- Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Israel, and for four,
I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they sold the righteous
for silver, and the poor for a pair of shoes;
- That pant after the dust of the earth on the head of the poor, and turn
aside the way of the meek: and a man and his father will go in unto the same
maid, to profane my holy name:
- And they lay themselves down upon clothes laid to pledge by every altar,
and they drink the wine of the condemned in the house of their god.
- Yet destroyed I the Amorite before them, whose height was like the height
of the cedars, and he was strong as the oaks; yet I destroyed his fruit from
above, and his roots from beneath.
- Also I brought you up from the land of Egypt, and led you forty years through
the wilderness, to possess the land of the Amorite.
- And I raised up of your sons for prophets, and of your young men for Nazarites.
Is it not even thus, O ye children of Israel? saith the LORD.
- But ye gave the Nazarites wine to drink; and commanded the prophets, saying,
- Behold, I am pressed under you, as a cart is pressed that is full of sheaves.
- Therefore the flight shall perish from the swift, and the strong shall
not strengthen his force, neither shall the mighty deliver himself:
- Neither shall he stand that handleth the bow; and he that is swift of foot
shall not deliver himself: neither shall he that rideth the horse deliver
- And he that is courageous among the mighty shall flee away naked in that
day, saith the LORD.
- Hear this word that the LORD hath spoken against you, O children of Israel,
against the whole family which I brought up from the land of Egypt, saying,
- You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will
punish you for all your iniquities.
- Can two walk together, except they be agreed?
- Will a lion roar in the forest, when he hath no prey? will a young lion
cry out of his den, if he have taken nothing?
- Can a bird fall in a snare upon the earth, where no gin is for him? shall
one take up a snare from the earth, and have taken nothing at all?
- Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall
there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?
- Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his
servants the prophets.
- The lion hath roared, who will not fear? the Lord GOD hath spoken, who
can but prophesy?
- Publish in the palaces at Ashdod, and in the palaces in the land of Egypt,
and say, Assemble yourselves upon the mountains of Samaria, and behold the
great tumults in the midst thereof, and the oppressed in the midst thereof.
- For they know not to do right, saith the LORD, who store up violence and
robbery in their palaces.
- Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; An adversary there shall be even round
about the land; and he shall bring down thy strength from thee, and thy palaces
shall be spoiled.
- Thus saith the LORD; As the shepherd taketh out of the mouth of the lion
two legs, or a piece of an ear; so shall the children of Israel be taken out
that dwell in Samaria in the corner of a bed, and in Damascus in a couch.
- Hear ye, and testify in the house of Jacob, saith the Lord GOD, the God
- That in the day that I shall visit the transgressions of Israel upon him
I will also visit the altars of Bethel: and the horns of the altar shall be
cut off, and fall to the ground.
- And I will smite the winter house with the summer house; and the houses
of ivory shall perish, and the great houses shall have an end, saith the LORD.
- Hear this word, ye kine of Bashan, that are in the mountain of Samaria,
which oppress the poor, which crush the needy, which say to their masters,
Bring, and let us drink.
- The Lord GOD hath sworn by his holiness, that, lo, the days shall come
upon you, that he will take you away with hooks, and your posterity with fishhooks.
- And ye shall go out at the breaches, every cow at that which is before
her; and ye shall cast them into the palace, saith the LORD.
- Come to Bethel, and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression; and bring
your sacrifices every morning, and your tithes after three years:
- And offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving with leaven, and proclaim and publish
the free offerings: for this liketh you, O ye children of Israel, saith the
- And I also have given you cleanness of teeth in all your cities, and want
of bread in all your places: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD.
- And also I have withholden the rain from you, when there were yet three
months to the harvest: and I caused it to rain upon one city, and caused it
not to rain upon another city: one piece was rained upon, and the piece whereupon
it rained not withered.
- So two or three cities wandered unto one city, to drink water; but they
were not satisfied: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD.
- I have smitten you with blasting and mildew: when your gardens and your
vineyards and your fig trees and your olive trees increased, the palmerworm
devoured them: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD.
- I have sent among you the pestilence after the manner of Egypt: your young
men have I slain with the sword, and have taken away your horses; and I have
made the stink of your camps to come up unto your nostrils: yet have ye not
returned unto me, saith the LORD.
- I have overthrown some of you, as God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, and
ye were as a firebrand plucked out of the burning: yet have ye not returned
unto me, saith the LORD.
- Therefore thus will I do unto thee, O Israel: and because I will do this
unto thee, prepare to meet thy God, O Israel.
- For, lo, he that formeth the mountains, and createth the wind, and declareth
unto man what is his thought, that maketh the morning darkness, and treadeth
upon the high places of the earth, The LORD, The God of hosts, is his name.
- Hear ye this word which I take up against you, even a lamentation, O house
- The virgin of Israel is fallen; she shall no more rise: she is forsaken
upon her land; there is none to raise her up.
- For thus saith the Lord GOD; The city that went out by a thousand shall
leave an hundred, and that which went forth by an hundred shall leave ten,
to the house of Israel.
- For thus saith the LORD unto the house of Israel, Seek ye me, and ye shall
- But seek not Bethel, nor enter into Gilgal, and pass not to Beersheba:
for Gilgal shall surely go into captivity, and Bethel shall come to nought.
- Seek the LORD, and ye shall live; lest he break out like fire in the house
of Joseph, and devour it, and there be none to quench it in Bethel.
- Ye who turn judgment to wormwood, and leave off righteousness in the earth,
- Seek him that maketh the seven stars and Orion, and turneth the shadow
of death into the morning, and maketh the day dark with night: that calleth
for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth:
The LORD is his name:
- That strengtheneth the spoiled against the strong, so that the spoiled
shall come against the fortress.
- They hate him that rebuketh in the gate, and they abhor him that speaketh
- Forasmuch therefore as your treading is upon the poor, and ye take from
him burdens of wheat: ye have built houses of hewn stone, but ye shall not
dwell in them; ye have planted pleasant vineyards, but ye shall not drink
wine of them.
- For I know your manifold transgressions and your mighty sins: they afflict
the just, they take a bribe, and they turn aside the poor in the gate from
- Therefore the prudent shall keep silence in that time; for it is an evil
- Seek good, and not evil, that ye may live: and so the LORD, the God of
hosts, shall be with you, as ye have spoken.
- Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate: it
may be that the LORD God of hosts will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph.
- Therefore the LORD, the God of hosts, the LORD, saith thus; Wailing shall
be in all streets; and they shall say in all the highways, Alas! alas! and
they shall call the husbandman to mourning, and such as are skilful of lamentation
- And in all vineyards shall be wailing: for I will pass through thee, saith
- Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end is it for you?
the day of the LORD is darkness, and not light.
- As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the
house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him.
- Shall not the day of the LORD be darkness, and not light? even very dark,
and no brightness in it?
- I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn
- Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not
accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts.
- Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the
melody of thy viols.
- But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.
- Have ye offered unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty
years, O house of Israel?
- But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images,
the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves.
- Therefore will I cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus, saith
the LORD, whose name is The God of hosts.
- Woe to them that are at ease in Zion, and trust in the mountain of Samaria,
which are named chief of the nations, to whom the house of Israel came!
- Pass ye unto Calneh, and see; and from thence go ye to Hamath the great:
then go down to Gath of the Philistines: be they better than these kingdoms?
or their border greater than your border?
- Ye that put far away the evil day, and cause the seat of violence to come
- That lie upon beds of ivory, and stretch themselves upon their couches,
and eat the lambs out of the flock, and the calves out of the midst of the
- That chant to the sound of the viol, and invent to themselves instruments
of musick, like David;
- That drink wine in bowls, and anoint themselves with the chief ointments:
but they are not grieved for the affliction of Joseph.
- Therefore now shall they go captive with the first that go captive, and
the banquet of them that stretched themselves shall be removed.
- The Lord GOD hath sworn by himself, saith the LORD the God of hosts, I
abhor the excellency of Jacob, and hate his palaces: therefore will I deliver
up the city with all that is therein.
- And it shall come to pass, if there remain ten men in one house, that they
- And a man's uncle shall take him up, and he that burneth him, to bring
out the bones out of the house, and shall say unto him that is by the sides
of the house, Is there yet any with thee? and he shall say, No. Then shall
he say, Hold thy tongue: for we may not make mention of the name of the LORD.
- For, behold, the LORD commandeth, and he will smite the great house with
breaches, and the little house with clefts.
- Shall horses run upon the rock? will one plow there with oxen? for ye have
turned judgment into gall, and the fruit of righteousness into hemlock:
- Ye which rejoice in a thing of nought, which say, Have we not taken to
us horns by our own strength?
- But, behold, I will raise up against you a nation, O house of Israel, saith
the LORD the God of hosts; and they shall afflict you from the entering in
of Hemath unto the river of the wilderness.
- Thus hath the Lord GOD shewed unto me; and, behold, he formed grasshoppers
in the beginning of the shooting up of the latter growth; and, lo, it was
the latter growth after the king's mowings.
- And it came to pass, that when they had made an end of eating the grass
of the land, then I said, O Lord GOD, forgive, I beseech thee: by whom shall
Jacob arise? for he is small.
- The LORD repented for this: It shall not be, saith the LORD.
- Thus hath the Lord GOD shewed unto me: and, behold, the Lord GOD called
to contend by fire, and it devoured the great deep, and did eat up a part.
- Then said I, O Lord GOD, cease, I beseech thee: by whom shall Jacob arise?
for he is small.
- The LORD repented for this: This also shall not be, saith the Lord GOD.
- Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline,
with a plumbline in his hand.
- And the LORD said unto me, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A plumbline.
Then said the LORD, Behold, I will set a plumbline in the midst of my people
Israel: I will not again pass by them any more:
- And the high places of Isaac shall be desolate, and the sanctuaries of
Israel shall be laid waste; and I will rise against the house of Jeroboam
with the sword.
- Then Amaziah the priest of Bethel sent to Jeroboam king of Israel, saying,
Amos hath conspired against thee in the midst of the house of Israel: the
land is not able to bear all his words.
- For thus Amos saith, Jeroboam shall die by the sword, and Israel shall
surely be led away captive out of their own land.
- Also Amaziah said unto Amos, O thou seer, go, flee thee away into the land
of Judah, and there eat bread, and prophesy there:
- But prophesy not again any more at Bethel: for it is the king's chapel,
and it is the king's court.
- Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was
I a prophet's son; but I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit:
- And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me,
Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.
- Now therefore hear thou the word of the LORD: Thou sayest, Prophesy not
against Israel, and drop not thy word against the house of Isaac.
- Therefore thus saith the LORD; Thy wife shall be an harlot in the city,
and thy sons and thy daughters shall fall by the sword, and thy land shall
be divided by line; and thou shalt die in a polluted land: and Israel shall
surely go into captivity forth of his land.
- Thus hath the Lord GOD shewed unto me: and behold a basket of summer fruit.
- And he said, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A basket of summer fruit.
Then said the LORD unto me, The end is come upon my people of Israel; I will
not again pass by them any more.
- And the songs of the temple shall be howlings in that day, saith the Lord
GOD: there shall be many dead bodies in every place; they shall cast them
forth with silence.
- Hear this, O ye that swallow up the needy, even to make the poor of the
land to fail,
- Saying, When will the new moon be gone, that we may sell corn? and the
sabbath, that we may set forth wheat, making the ephah small, and the shekel
great, and falsifying the balances by deceit?
- That we may buy the poor for silver, and the needy for a pair of shoes;
yea, and sell the refuse of the wheat?
- The LORD hath sworn by the excellency of Jacob, Surely I will never forget
any of their works.
- Shall not the land tremble for this, and every one mourn that dwelleth
therein? and it shall rise up wholly as a flood; and it shall be cast out
and drowned, as by the flood of Egypt.
- And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will
cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear
- And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation;
and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head;
and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as
a bitter day.
- Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in
the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the
words of the LORD:
- And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east,
they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find
- In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst.
- They that swear by the sin of Samaria, and say, Thy god, O Dan, liveth;
and, The manner of Beersheba liveth; even they shall fall, and never rise
- I saw the LORD standing upon the altar: and he said,
Smite the lintel of the door, that the posts may shake: and cut them in
the head, all of them; and I will slay the last of them with the sword:
he that fleeth of them shall not flee away, and he that escapeth of them
shall not be delivered.
- Though they dig into hell, thence shall mine hand take them; though they
climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down:
- And though they hide themselves in the top of Carmel, I will search and
take them out thence; and though they be hid from my sight in the bottom of
the sea, thence will I command the serpent, and he shall bite them:
- And though they go into captivity before their enemies, thence will I command
the sword, and it shall slay them: and I will set mine eyes upon them for
evil, and not for good.
- And the Lord GOD of hosts is he that toucheth the land, and it shall melt,
and all that dwell therein shall mourn: and it shall rise up wholly like a
flood; and shall be drowned, as by the flood of Egypt.
- It is he that buildeth his stories in the heaven, and hath founded his
troop in the earth; he that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth
them out upon the face of the earth: The LORD is his name.
- Are ye not as children of the Ethiopians unto me, O children of Israel?
saith the LORD. Have not I brought up Israel out of the land of Egypt? and
the Philistines from Caphtor, and the Syrians from Kir?
- Behold, the eyes of the Lord GOD are upon the sinful kingdom, and I will
destroy it from off the face of the earth; saving that I will not utterly
destroy the house of Jacob, saith the LORD.
- For, lo, I will command, and I will sift the house of Israel among all
nations, like as corn is sifted in a sieve, yet shall not the least grain
fall upon the earth.
- All the sinners of my people shall die by the sword, which say, The evil
shall not overtake nor prevent us.
- In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and
close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build
it as in the days of old:
- That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which
are called by my name, saith the LORD that doeth this.
- Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake
the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains
shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt.
- And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall
build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards,
and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit
- And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled
up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.